Chess & Play Camp with Skyhawks - VIRTUAL
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Engage your child with this unique program that bridges physical fitness with learning the game of chess! Featuring expert coaches from Chess4Life, instruction will build a solid foundation in young players-beginner to advanced-through fun lessons, practice play and tournament rounds. Skyhawks instructors will finish each session with engaging, game-based physical education activities designed to build self-confidence, create body awareness and inspire a passion for an active lifestyle. We are excited to bring chess and physical fitness together in one fun-filled camp to teach life skills through sports AND chess!
Skyhawks Sports Academy provides sports programs where children discover and develop athletic skills and social values, such as teamwork, respect and sportsmanship. We offer children a positive sports experience while prompting a healthy, active lifestyle.
Virtual Chess & Play Camp
- - All virtual camps and classes will be conducted through Zoom. A Zoom link will be sent to participants prior to a program's start date.
- - A recording of each session will be available to participants if they are unable to attend a session.
- - A list of required equipment will be provided to participants prior to a program's start date.
Chess4Life Additional Program Notes:
The chess session will offer multiple levels - beginner through advanced. You get to choose which level is right for you! If one level is too easy or too hard, simply try out the other group.
- No chess knowledge needed
- This level covers the rules of chess PLUS essential beginning strategies
- Your child should know how the chess pieces move, how to Castle, and checkmate
- This level covers powerful chess tactics and builds the skills necessary to successfully win chess games
- Your child should understand multiple tactics and checkmate strategies
- This level covers advanced tactics, planning and strategic thinking, leading to confidence crafting a plan from any chess position
LiChess account is need for any student who wishes to participate in the playtime after the lessons. Create a free account at https://lichess.org/signup
*Lichess is a FREE chess play and learning platform that the coaches will use to delivery lessons, activities, and tournaments.
Here is a list of equipment/materials you will need for the Skyhawks portion of the program:
- Beach towel or blanket
- Water bottle
- Tall Cones (approx. 10) - Alternatives include water bottles, cups or building blocks
- Flat Cones (approx. 10) - Alternatives include plastic bowls, small pillows or folded towels/clothes
- Flat Spot - Alternatives include paper plate, shirt, piece of paper or a magazine
- Sport or Playground Ball - Can range in size from a basketball to a tennis ball
- Tennis Balls (3) - Alternatives include any ball similar in size or some rolled up socks